Sunday, February 7, 2010

Reading While Walking

Maybe I have reading on the brain recently. Or maybe we can just call this a follow up to my last post. Either way, I have something else that I think should exist when it comes to books.

Last spring I worked at a temporary job where I was given frequent short breaks. At that same time I was really engaged in reading a particular book. On my breaks, I would take my book outside and read while walking around the parking lot. This was an opportunity for me to take advantage of the nice weather and get a little bit of exercise, which kept me from falling asleep when I got back to work.

That never seemed difficult or out of the ordinary to me, but I did have several people tell me that they had trouble reading while walking. Since this never seemed to me like something that might be difficult, I don’t know if the problem is an inability to concentrate, a fear of running into things, or something else.

No matter what the difficulty is, I think there should be something that helps people to read while walking. While it may not be the most thorough or intense form of exercise, it is at least something, and for many it may be the only exercise they get. Many people (like me) need some sort of distraction in order to exercise without getting bored or frustrated. My most impatient moments are the ones when I’m looking at the timer on the treadmill. So why should anyone have to choose between exercise and reading?

I’m picturing some sort of device with mirrors similar to rear view or side view mirrors on a car. Maybe someone else has another idea for what this might look like. Maybe there would need to be some research done to determine exactly what makes it so difficult to read and walk at the same time.

Once someone comes up with a solution to this issue, I think it should be available in Sky Mall magazine. This definitely sounds like a Sky Mall product.

Does anyone know what makes walking and reading difficult? Is there already a product/device that addresses this?

No comments:

Post a Comment