Sunday, April 4, 2010

Terms and Conditions Interpreter

There’s no better way to start this post than by just admitting something. You know those boxes you’re supposed to check whenever you sign up for a website or download a new program onto your computer or pretty much do anything at all online anymore? Those ‘Terms and Conditions’ pages appear everywhere in my computer-based life, but I must admit that I never actually read the terms of service.

Actually, I do feel guilty about it. I consistently click the box declaring that I did, indeed, read the terms and conditions. It’s technically dishonest, but what worries me more is that it could possibly be dangerous. If I continue to agree to terms without knowing what they are then it seems more than likely that at some point I could be agreeing to something entirely unsavory.



I tend to take for granted that I am not the first person to sign up for whatever service and that if there was a problem with the terms then they would have been addressed long before I reach that section of the registration. Furthermore, I don’t always trust myself to read the ‘legal mumbo jumbo’ that makes up what amounts to fine print in my opinion.

These are just excuses though. Truly, the responsible thing to do would be to actually read and understand the terms of service. But I know I am unlikely to ever start being so responsible.

As a compromise, I think there should be some sort of service, probably a website, that analyzes and compares the terms and conditions for many different websites and software packages. The service would summarize the terms into a much shorter form and it should break down the terms into language that is easily understood by people who are not legal experts. In addition, I think this service should tell me what possible implications these terms could have.

Now I hope everyone who reads this notices the inherent irony in the above idea. This kind of a service would inevitably have fine print of its own that you must read. Since the whole point is to avoid having to read and interpret so many terms and conditions, it seems slightly counterproductive to add one more service that requires it. Perhaps the site could even use its own terms and conditions as an example for potential users. It could provide the full version and then summarize and analyze its own terms for users who may not wish to even read those.

I may agree that it is irresponsible to claim I agree with terms I have never read, but I also want it to be easier to understand those conditions. Even with a site like the one I suggest above, there is an amount of trust involved. In the end it comes down to balancing risk with reward. It may be risky to pay absolutely no attention to terms and conditions, and this idea would be a good compromise solution.

How often do you read ‘Terms and Conditions?’ Do you know of any service or website that already does this?

3 comments:

  1. I never...never, read terms and conditions. They are a hindrance and simply in the way of me enjoying whatever it is that I am trying to do at the time. I think this is a great idea, but unless it was less than 3 bulleted points, I probably wouldn't read the condensed version either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Condensed version" - I don't know why I didn't use that term

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete