Thursday, January 21, 2010

Long Term Travel Savings

Most of my readers may already know me as somewhat of a world traveler. For any readers who don’t know me well, I spent a year of my life studying abroad in five different countries in order to earn my Masters degree. During that time I was able to visit around 20 total countries. Basically, I spent 11 months traveling and learning. It was a great experience; I wouldn’t trade it for anything.



When I talk to family members or friends about the experience, they often tell me how exciting it sounds and that they wish they could do something like that. I almost always answer with the same response: ‘Then you should.’ I don’t actually expect people to do the exact same program that I did, nor do I think everyone should choose that path. However, I do feel strongly that anyone who really wants to travel in their lifetime, can and should do it. When I tell people this, they inevitably have some excuse for why it won’t work (I can’t take time off work, I have to spend time with my kids, etc.). While I don’t doubt that these are legitimate reasons, I do believe that with a little bit of creativity and ingenuity these excuse-makers can find a way to travel the world sometime in their lives.

This leads me to today’s “Thing That Should Exist.” There needs to be some serious planning tools that will help people who want to travel. This could take many forms. Maybe there will be counselors or case managers who will personally advise potential travelers on how to work it into their lives. Or perhaps more of a kit that will offer options and ideas. Does anyone else have any ideas for how this could work? I know there are tour groups and travel agencies that specialize in creating travel experiences for people in many different stages of life, but I also know that these cannot address the needs or interests of everyone. At the very least, there should be savings plans that are designed specifically for travel.


I have been blessed to experience many adventures and I simply want others to be similarly blessed. I don’t assume that everyone would want or should want to have the same adventures as me. I just think they should be able to live the life they want, even if they can’t do it right away because of work and family responsibilities.

Does something like this already exist? Who thinks this would be useful? Any other thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment