Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What Happened to Lelaina Pierce?

This is an idea I have loved since I first thought of it. It came up while I was discussing movies with a good friend on a road trip. We were specifically discussing one of my personal favorite movies: Reality Bites.



For those of you who don’t know anything about the movie (or who just need to be reminded), the film deals with a group of young people who have just graduated from college. They are job-seeking, relationship-building young gen-Xers. The audience gets to look into their personalities and the dynamics of their friendships. The movie stars Winona Ryder, Ethan Hawk, Steve Zahn, Janeane Garofalo, and Ben Stiller; it is Ben Stiller’s directorial debut.

After seeing Reality Bites so many times, I have grown pretty attached to the characters and I would like to know where they are now. Did Lelaina ever find success as a documentary filmmaker? How long did her relationship with Troy last? Did Sammy’s parents ever let him back in the house? Is Vickie still working at the Gap? Did any of them find happiness? Are any of them still friends?

I’m sure if you didn’t love this movie as much as I did, you probably have another movie where you are dying to know where the characters are now. If it helps, you can pretend like this entire entry is about that movie.

I love ‘Where Are They Now’ segments on TV, but they only address where certain actors or celebrities are now. I want a special feature on DVDs where we can see where the characters are now. Imagine how much fun it would be to get the cast together (in character) to say what they are doing now. Sometimes a sequel just isn’t an option, and we all know that sequels are often inferior to the original anyway. This idea works very well in place of a full sequel.

Has anyone seen this as a special feature before? Are there any other movies where you would like to know whatever happened to the characters? Does anyone know if Ben Stiller would go for something like this?

1 comment:

  1. This in fact, may be the greatest idea you have ever had! I am all for it :)

    ReplyDelete